I eat it because I like the taste of it, it makes a great accompliment to masoor daal which is how I had it today.
This is vegan again, some people cook this using mustard oil, but here is my favourite.
Ingredients for serving 4-6 as side dish
- Wash well and chop into slices 3-5 mm thick, place these in a colander and salt with 1-2 tbsp salt, making sure they all get coated, leave to stand over a dish or bowl until they start to dewater. Stir a couple of time to make sure all parts are coated. Leave for about 2 hours, this will remove the really intense bitterness.
- Add your oil to your pan, for this dish I would use a wok or a pan you can move the food easily so it doesn't sweat and boil. You want to brown the karela pieces but not burn them, if they go a bit black don't worry just adds to the smoky flavour. You can deep fat fry these instead.
- Once they are all coloured set them aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan then the cumin and onion. Cook the onion slowly till it is light brown and is getting sweet.
- Add the karela peices back into the pan and add your dry spices, taste and add more amchur if you need it.
- Cook for a further 10mins on a slow heat until all the flavours have combined and the karela pieces cooked through.
- This is mainly a side dish with roti, naan, or rice of your choice. It is lovely served as a side dish with any daal. And enjoy!