We call all chillis, 'mirch', peppers are called 'shimila mirich'.
I tend to cook this dish as vegan. You can also make this Sathvick, by removing the onion and replacing it with a bit more ginger. Again you can also use this as a side dish for an English meal to introduce a bit of spice!
Ingredients for serving 4
- Add your oil, set the pan at a slow heat. Add your cumin seeds and ajowan, when they begin to crackle add your onion.
- Cook the onion till it is soft and then add your ginger and chilli, stirring frequently.
- Continue to cook this till the ginger is brown too, if the ginger starts to stick to the pan just add a couple of tea spoons of water and stir until it comes free.
- Once the mix is caramel coloured, add your dry spices and salt, you have now made your base (masala). Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add your peppers and combine the masala and vegetables, cover and cook on a medium heat for 5mins and then turn down to a lower heat for about 20mins or until the potatoes are cooked and peppers are soft.
- Add the chopped coriander and serve as a main or side dish with roti, naan, or rice of your choice. We had it with Moongi daal tonight and roti, it was yummy!