I love eating seasonally, cabbage is so sweet and yummy right now and tends to be quite sweet so marries well with peas (matar in hindi).
We call cabbage 'band gobi' which translates to closed cauliflower.
I tend to cook this dish as vegan. You can also make this Sathvick, by removing the onion and replacing it with a bit more ginger. Again you can also use this as a side dish for an English meal to introduce a bit of spice!
Ingredients for serving 4
- Add your oil, set the pan at a slow heat. Add your cumin seeds and ajowan, when they begin to crackle add your onion.
- Cook the onion till it is soft and then add your ginger and chilli, stirring frequently.
- Continue to cook this till the ginger is brown too, if the ginger starts to stick to the pan just add a couple of tea spoons of water and stir until it comes free.
- Once the mix is caramel coloured, add your dry spices and salt, you have now made your base (masala). You can cook any vegetable this way, it is so easy when you get familiar with the spices.
- Add your cabbage and peas and combine the masala and vegetables, cover and cook on a medium heat for 5mins and then turn down to a lower heat for about 20mins or until the cabbage is cooked. Cooked this way you can't easily overcook cabbage. And it can be reheated with no loss in quality.
- Add the chopped coriander and serve as a main or side dish with roti, naan, or rice of your choice. We had it with Moongi daal tonight and roti, it was yummy!