You can buy them in most foreign food shops, i bought them from an Afghanistany shop in Cambridge.
Ingredients for serving 4
- Add your oil, set the pan at a slow heat. Add your cumin seeds and ajowan, when they begin to crackle add your onion.
- Cook the onion till it is soft and then add your ginger and chilli, stirring frequently.
- Continue to cook this till the ginger is brown too, if the ginger starts to stick to the pan just add a couple of tea spoons of water and stir until it comes free.
- Once the mix is caramel coloured, add your dry spices and salt, you have now made your base (masala). Add tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the yoghurt in here if you are wanting to and cook for a further few mins.
- Add 1 litre of cold water and bring to boil or boiled water, and cook for a few minutes, then add in your plantain chunks.
- Cook on a medium heat for 20mins, you want a gentle rolling boil. Check the plantain to see if it is cooked you can do this by stabbing it with knife as with potatoes and also notice the colour of the vegetable becomes less white and more translucent.
- Add the chopped coriander and serve as a main or side dish with roti, naan, or rice of your choice!